Things I Like Tuesday - CA edition

Mar 3, 2009

I've been having a lot of dreams about CA lately, so it seems appropriate to have this week's Tuesday list be things that I like about California. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't have a lot of love for my home state, but there are things that I miss. Honestly, I think it would be fun to live just about anywhere (maybe not Barrow, Alaska), and I appreciate things about wherever I'm at. Here we go.

1. The Beach. I don't care what anyone says, going to Lake Michigan just doesn't cut it for the beach experience. It is nice and even enjoyable, but it is not the same. I grew up leaping through waves, guzzling down salt water, making sand castles that get knocked down when the tide comes in, etc. I miss that.
2. In-N-Out. This is probably at the top of any relocated Californian. It is the very definition of YUMMY. I have a lot of wonderful memories that include In-N-Out including the day I got engaged and the day I got married. Those hamburgers, those fries, and oh, those shakes. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.
3. The 5. Yep, call me crazy, but I miss the 5. I realize that most the time when you are driving on the 5 you are in a parking lot, but it always gets you where you want to go. Out here the tollway system is just lame and you always have to take a thousand side streets to get somewhere.


4. Golden Spoon. I've been dreaming about Golden Spoon a LOT lately. Fat-Free Frozen Yogurt with whatever topping you choose. Heavenly. I just haven't found anything comparable to it out here. I'll be happy to take suggestions if anyone knows of something like this in the midwest!

5. Family. Of course this is really at the top of my list of things I miss. Practically every member of my family (extended included) lives in California. Being 2,000 miles away can be hard at times, especially when something big happens in someone's life. Although, it is really nice to have places to stay anytime we want to take a trip to the 'promised land'.

Anyway, those are a few of the things I like about CA. Notice the weather didn't make my top 5. As much as midwesterners like to complain about the snow, I really wouldn't trade it for the same weather year-round. It's boring. (You can fight me all you want on this, I think I'm qualified after living in CA for 23 years!)

3 comments:

Kirra Sue said...

ah california. i'm leaving on sunday to be in the land of crowded freeways, yummy food, and lots of sunshine! and of course, family! :) this post made me smile!

Rochelle said...

nice post. :) although you did make me hungry for Culver's, given that it's about the closest I think we come to In-N-Out probably.

We have wonderful TCBY yogurt in my hometown down state, but I'm not aware of any up here. http://www.tcby.com/

YUMMO!

Alex and Leah Panos said...

Aww, and your family misses you too!
And yes, it was especially nice having only one freeway growing up that got us everywhere. Now I have to use 4 freeways just to get to the grocery store, haha!
And that's pretty unique to know that you love your variety of weather out there! I like the pool in winter, so it's a good thing I live in boring California! :) hehe

 
Bolsa Chica - by Templates para novo blogger