Mar 17, 2009
As today is the grand holiday that is St. Patrick's Day, it only seems appropriate to have that be the theme of my Things I Like Tuesday post. And in fact, I really like St. Patrick's day, so the day itself would make the top of my list for this week!
1. St. Patrick's Day. Yep, that's right. I am one of the few people who really like this holiday. Oddly enough, I grew up celebrating it even though I have very little Irish in me (at least that I know of). Surprisingly, my husband also grew up celebrating this holiday with his family so we fit together very well. (Below: Just in case you don't believe me, here is my in-law's dog decked out for the day.)
2. The food. Mmmmm. So good. Give me a plate of Corned Beef, boiled potatoes, cabbage, and carrots and I'm a happy girl. Oh, and don't forget the Beer Bread! Yum! (Below: Brian and I enjoying an authentic meal a few years ago at a local Irish Pub.)
3. Unnaturally Green Things. Usually finding something green in your refrigerator is a bad thing -- but not on this day! You'll find all sorts of things dyed green for the occassion. Even though those items don't look particularly appetizing (my mom used to dye milk green for the holiday, thats just a little too scary), I think the concept is hilarious. It makes me happy. (Below: ah, Green Eggs and Ham)
4. Chicago. One of the most fun places to be on St. Patrick's Day (outside of Ireland, I imagine) is Chicago. People go crazy for it. The crowds can be hectic and the parade is not all that fantastic, but the enthusiasm is contagious. Come on people, the city dyes its main river green -- how cool is that?
5. An excuse to pinch people. Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration. I like to have an excuse to pinch my hunny, but I leave other people alone for the most part. I like to catch him at moments when I know he won't have any green on him (i.e., right out of the shower). Fun times.
So, what do you like or dislike about St. Patty's day?