Serger Update

Apr 16, 2009

Big news everyone: I got a serger! Woohoo! Just a little over a week ago I started the serger search and it went much more quickly than anticipated. That's because I had a little help! My mom knows this really great sewing machine dealer back in CA where she bought my beloved Bernina about a year and a half ago. I haven't really found a dealer I know I can trust out here, so I thought it would be best to have my mom look into the matter for me. Lo and Behold! After her first trip there she was pretty sure she had found "the one". A quick call left me bouncing off the walls with excitement (just ask anyone who was around me that day!). So, here she is, from 2,000 miles away making her online debut!



She may look a little on the experienced side, but that is only confirmation that she is going to hang in there for the long haul. I love refurbished machines because they have such great history and are often made to last longer than modern machines. As you can see, all the parts are metal which is a pet peeve of mine. I really don't like plastic on my machine. It is also a Bernina (Bernette to be exact), but I don't know much more about the model than what you can make out in the first picture. Cute, eh?!

For those of you who are still scratching your head about what a serger is, the first picture shows the type of stitch that it accomplishes. It also has a blade (you can see it if you know what you are looking for it) that trims the fabric as it encases it in thread. This prevents fraying and adds a really finished look to your projects. Now I just need to get this machine in the same state as me so I can get down to business!

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Wow, that is definitely one different-looking machine! I'm glad you are so stoked about it and look forward to hopefully getting to watch you put this thing in action. :) I'm very intrigued....

Anonymous said...

The Serger is a early Birthday and Christmas present for the Grand Pupaw!

 
Bolsa Chica - by Templates para novo blogger