More About Slings

Aug 17, 2009

I guess I'm not the only one talking about the usefulness of baby slings! Check out Keeper of the Home and her post on babywearing. Thanks to the generosity of one of my reader's (thanks Jen!!), I'm prepped and ready to go with making my own sling. Looks like I've also got a special sling coming in the mail from a very special great-grandma to be! I'm sure our little guy will be super comfy in his new wraps -- now he just needs to get here!

Oh, and thanks for your well-wishes, too. I haven't talked a whole lot about our hopes for a natural childbirth, but I think we can use all the encouragement and prayer we can get in that area. We've prepped using the Bradley Method and are hoping to have our little guy born without medical intervention. Most of all, we just want a healthy baby (who doesn't?) and are so looking forward to meeting him! Thanks for your thoughts!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I would definitely recommend a wrap for when your baby is itty bitty... I think they feel like the most secure way to wear an infant for any extended length of time (I say that because they aren't as quick to get on and off as a ring sling or pouch) there are some new sew instructions out there if you just put in a search but basically all you need is a cotton knit or even a gauze type fabric anywhere from 3 to 5 yards depending on the way you want to wrap it and your body size (4 yards is pretty good for average size) and it can be anywhere from 20-30 inches wide if I remember...

Katie said...

Best wishes to you with a natural childbirth. Have you thought about contacting a doula or midwife. They can offer great support during labor.

My baby carrier of choice is a stretchy wrap such as a Moby Wrap. It is absolutely perfect for snuggling with newborn babes.

Monica Gee said...

I've been looking into both the Moby Wrap and a linen based wrap that is similar to the Moby. I think I'd like to give them all a try! We are having a doula, but unfortunately because of insurance, we'll be with a doctor rather than a midwife. I'm still very hopeful that our doctor has overall faith in the birthing process and will adhere to our wishes of a natural birth. He's been very open to our birth plan and I know he'll take great care of us. Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions!

elizabethcarroll said...

The sling has been an absolute life saver for me! You'll love the freedom it gives you and the way it soothes, calms and puts your baby to sleep!

Good luck with the natural birth plans! We used a little bit of Bradley's too but I think the most important thing is that you've prepared to manage the pain with a technique at all! Going in prepared is the most important thing for natural! Your pictures are beautiful, can't wait to see lil baby pictures! :)

 
Bolsa Chica - by Templates para novo blogger