Out of Time

Nov 4, 2009

From the title of this post you probably would guess that I'm referring to my prep time for the upcoming Holiday Bazaar. While that is sort of true, "out of time" refers to my trusty sewing machine. Even reliable work-horses like my classic Bernina need maintenance every now and again. Just my luck that mine would need it the week of my craft show!


On Monday night (after teaching my hubster the basics of sewing, long story), my machine jammed up and started skipping stitches. Of course since it happened on his watch, he felt terrible and immediately found a local sewing machine repairman for me. Tuesday the repairman made a house call and took my sickly machine off for some work. Basically, it had gotten "out of time" (I only vaguely understand the concept, so I won't try to explain), needed to be cleaned, oiled, and the tension on the bobbin fixed. With the amount of sewing I do, he said that I probably should have this sort of maintenance done once a year to keep things moving smoothly. Since it has been almost a year since my machine's last visit to the repairman, I can see why things got a little screwy.

All that to say -- go get your machine tuned up! If you are sewing regularly, your machine needs regular maintenance just like an oil change for your car. Thankfully, my repairman was able to fix everything quickly and now my machine is purring away beautifully. But, don't wait like me for an important deadline to find out your machine was in need of a little love, go get a tune up today. So, that is my little public service announcement and I think your machines will thank me! (Oh, and if you are in the Chicagoland area, ask me about my repairman because I highly recommend him!) Now, back to the grind, I'll be posting more finished products soon!

3 comments:

The Ordinary Vegetarian said...

Aw so glad to hear that it worked out in the end! I hope to be able to swing by the show for a bit on Friday!!

Rochelle said...

so glad you were able to get it fixed quickly! :)

elizabethcarroll said...

I'm thinking my machine needs to be serviced too since it started skipping stitches the other day! But I don't want to pay the $75 and I just got it in February! I really want to learn how to service my machine myself... It can't be THAT hard, right?

 
Bolsa Chica - by Templates para novo blogger